Monday, November 30, 2009

Pep In My Step

I woke up with such a happy feeling!  I think my “step it up” pep talk really worked!  I can’t describe the feeling;  it’s like something changed in me overnight.  I feel like I have a stronger resolve to stay on the healthy eating track.  I kept saying to myself that I would not let food control me.  I’m not giving it the power.  I have the ability to eat just what I need.  I have the ability.  I make the choice.  It’s up to me to do what’s right for my body.  It deserves it.   I know there are going to be rough times.  Times when food wants me…really badly.  I have to remind myself that I am in control of what I put in my body.  I can be in control.  Even through the holidays…  :)

So, breakfast was one of my favorite Yogurt Bowls topped with strawberries and diced apples…

IMG_1928

I cheated on Chobani with this guy…

IMG_1926

Chobani will always be my first greek love, but ya gotta get what’s on sale when ya can :)

After breakfast, I got my butt out the door for a peppy 45 minute walk (I’ll fill you in about the running tomorrow) around the neighborhood in the glorious weather.  I love mild November days!  The husband even joined me for the last 20 minutes which was  nice!

My stomach let me know it was lunchtime about 3 hours after eating breakfast.  I tried to cue into that to see how long it takes me to get hungry between meals.  I think knowing that is key to keeping munchies at bay and also, to help understand what types of food stick with me the longest.

Lunch was a Grilled Vegetable Boca Burger on a Pepperidge Farms Deli Flat, piled high with baby spinach and tomato.  Instead of my usual side of chips, I went with a longer lasting choice of fuji apple with 1 tbsp. homemade almond butter

IMG_1930

We spent the afternoon at a Christmas carol sing-a-long at church.  It was a nice time and really got us in the spirit!

Again, around the 3 hour mark, I was hungry for a snack.  I decided to go salty with reduced-fat Triscuits with turkey and a dab of  wasabi mustard…

IMG_1934

Yum!

The dinner plan was a new recipe from Amelie for Grandmom’s Macaroni.  It sounded delicious;  sort of a new twist on baked mac n’ cheese.  I changed it up a tiny bit by subbing these for the originals :   Ronzoni Smart Taste elbow macaroni (high fiber), my own marinara sauce (had some left in the fridge to use up), Cracker Barrel 2% white cheddar and whipped light butter.

The result was DELISH and a hit with the husband and daughters…

IMG_1936

My dish…served with a side of broccoli…

IMG_1942

This will definitely be added into my regular dinner rotation!  Thanks for the great recipe, Amelie!

~~~~

I have been thinking a lot lately about the blogworld and about how much encouragement I receive from other bloggers without them knowing it.  I read a lot of blogs.  A lot.  If you have a blog, you can rest assure I am reading it!  LOL!  I guess there are worse addictions :)  Anyway, I got to thinking how many bloggers write things that really strike me.  Really spur me on or cause me to take pause and reflect.  I don’t often take the time to get in touch with each person and tell them how something they wrote affected me, so I had the idea of making an addition to the end of my posts with a reference to a blogger who made an impact on me that day.  I decided to call it Brilliant Blogger because I often think “that’s brilliant” when I’ve read these words of wisdom.  There are also readers that leave me comments that are brilliant words of wisdom and they don’t have blogs, so I’m going to include some of those, too.  Just my small way of saying “thank you” to those bloggers/readers and sharing some great insights from them!

My first Brilliant Blogger is Joanna from Fitness and Spice

She wrote:  This year I’ve decided I’m not going to stress out about eating too much and working out too little during the holidays. That’s because I’ve already made up my mind that I won’t be eating too much and I will be making the time to workout.

Love that!

Don’t forget to enter my Campbell’s  Soup Giveaway – there’s a cool pedometer in there!!!

Have a great day, everyone!

19 comments:

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) said...

Thanks for the shout out today. I gave myself a pep talk last night, too. So today I feel like I'm back on track.

I have spent too many December's stressing out about what I'm going to eat and when I'm going to work out and missing out on the pure joy of this time of year. No more. I don't have to waste anymore energy on that because I've already committed to continuing my healthy-living way of life throughout the entire season.

Now I should run...I have some Oikos in my fridge calling my name!

Amelie said...

Yum! Your mac n' cheese looks delish! I'm so glad you enjoyed! :)

And yay for renewed resolve! You can do it Marisa!!!

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

mmm the mac and cheese looks like pure deliciousness!

great idea with the brilliant blogger...its so nice to hear from others how they have influenced you and their outlooks on life, health and happiness!!

xo

Jennifer said...

Love your pep! Thanks for the inspiration!

Lori said...

Blogs are really a wonderful way to get motivation when you need it, aren't they? They are available 24/7!

Love that mac and cheese.

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Hey, this post put a smile on my kisser. Maybe it's contagious...

Christina said...

What a cool idea with the blogger shout out. That is a great idea since it's true that there is inspiration in so many people out here in blogland. :) You are one yourself, missy!

Way to start the day off right and back in the groove. After a certain point, it will be natural and easy to stick to our guns so we have to keep trucking and remember we are in control (love that).

Graze With Me said...

I read so many blogs too, I always see something insightful on them and say "why didn't I think of that?" There are many brilliant ladies (and a few gents) out there!

I love finding new recipes to add to my dinner rotation. That one sounds like a winner.

OldGoogleAccount said...

Spooky. Something you said in this very post stopped me in my tracks and had me frantically scribbling ideas for my next post. Then I go on to read your Brilliant Blogger idea. A brilliant idea from one of the original Brilliant Bloggers in my opinion.

Rebecca said...

Great job Marisa. I love your Brilliant Blogger idea. Thanks for sharing those with us.

Unknown said...

Hi, my name is tj and I am a blog reader addict. lol I love all of the support and motivation I get from bloggers out there. Sad, but it's more than I get some of my REAL friends.

That mac n cheese looks so good. If I made that Id eat the entire thing. I have no pasta control! lol Oh and then it would stick to my butt! haha

:)

C.G. the Foodie said...

YUM on the Mac and Cheese!

Trainerpack said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I've always been a Triscuits fan. Not a reduced fat variety, but have you tried the Roasted Garlic? Oh my, if you're a garlic lover...

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

wasabi mustard sounds incredible! i love wasabi anything. namely the peas and almonds. that mac looks really decadent and delicious! love that you have a pep in your step, it rubbed off on me and made me smile!!

Unknown said...

Okay, that macaroni looks sooooo good!
You know, you are such a touchstone for me, Marisa. Whenever I'm feeling like I'm out of control, I read your blog and I think, "Okay, look at Marisa. Her food is simple, tasty and healthy. Just eat that!"

MadScientist said...

I read a lot of blogs as well. I love Joanna...she's so dang real. Thanks for sharing this with me..us..it's so true. So much of life is how you filter/think it.

Mary :: A Merry Life said...

"I have the ability."

for some reason that just hit me really hard. Yeah. Yeah, I needed to read that sentence, so thank you.

MizFit said...

I have some pep in my step this morning fo'shizzle.

no reason.

just do.

(and now Im thinking that PEP IN MY STEP would make a great hiphop song. please to write the lyrics for us...)