Before I left to help out at Gram's new apartment, I grabbed another one of the SoBe Lifewater ...
Loved this one, too! I have one more flavor to try. Maybe, tomorrow!
I knew we would be busy unpacking boxes and setting up the apartment, so I brought my lunch. I planned ahead and decided to make my own veggie burger - Chickpea Spinach Almond Burgers. These are so tasty; a bit reminiscent of a falafel patty. For this recipe, you'll need...
- 1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 c. chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 c. baby spinach
- 1/4 c. whole almonds, roasted then coarsely chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 c. dried breadcrumbs
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- In a food processor, combine chick peas, onion, garlic , spinach and almonds. Pulse for 30 sec. or until coarsely chopped.
- Add remaining ingredients and process for 20 seconds. The mixture should be coarse, not a smooth paste.
- Using a heaping 1/3 c., form mixture into 6 burgers approx. 4" in diameter.
- Chill for 1 hour or overnight.
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook burgers for 4 minutes per side.
I put my recipe through the Etools Recipe Builder and came up with 6 burgers at 3 POINTS per burger. I roasted my almonds for a nuttier taste, but feel free to put in natural almonds. I'm sure it would be just as yummy.
Lunch was served on a paper towel, standing in Gram's new kitchen, due to lack of plates and seating at the time! I had my Chickpea Spinach Almond Burger on an Arnold Sandwich Thin with some shredded lettuce and a side of pretzels, carrot and apple. A working 7 POINT lunch...