Monday, September 14, 2009

Just Be Myself

Hey all!  Weekend go okay?  It was so nice here.  I had intended on going for a walk or maybe doing some Pilates as my “rest day” activity, but ended up doing NADA!  Oh well!  I have to say that my hip is thanking me for it.  I gave it a nice recoup time this weekend and it feels a lot better!  So instead of working out, I worked around the house cleaning and catching up on laundry. I worked up an appetite for breakfast and stopped for an old fave of Trader Joe’s High Fiber O’s, strawberries and skim milk…

s13 002

More cleaning and laundry.  We live like pigs, I’ve decided.  Or maybe our dog is really disguised as a pig.  I don’t know, it was just a mess around here!

I finally got things in semi-order and settled in to make lunch.  I was craving a wrap, mainly because I found these cool new (to me) Joseph’s Lavash Bread (found them in BJ’s)…

s13 004

They are huge!  A serving is a half, but with these great stats, eating a whole one is no biggie…

s13 005

I made a basic turkey and asiago cheese with lettuce, tomato and dijon mustard and had a super sweet Fuji apple on the side “for dessert”…

s13 006

I really wanted to have some time to sit this afternoon.  I’ve been thinking a lot lately that I don’t take time to “just be”.  Everything is so fast;  the day flies by and I have a million things in my head about what I should be doing, what I want to do, where I need to go, etc.  My mind is never quiet.  I’m feeling unfocused, maybe even a little unnerved because of it.  Even if it’s just 5 minutes to STOP.  BREATHE.  LISTEN.  That’s all I’m asking of myself.  Did I do it?  NO!  Too many distractions.  But, it’s a goal I have for this week!

My Mom, Dad and Gram came over later in the day to hang out and have Sunday dinner with us.  It was so nice out, we decided on squeaking out the last days of grilling time.  I made burgers on the grill served on “healthy” Ezekiel Hamburger Buns and white, fluffy kaiser buns for the protesters to healthiness (you know who they are ;)…

s13 008

Some sweet potato fries…

s13 007

a big green salad…

s13 009

and Gram brought her Zucchini Quiche, too…

s13 010

My plate…

s13 011

Mmmm…my burger with some fixins…

s13 012

It was a fun time with healthy eats!  The Ezekiel buns were a hit and so filling that I didn’t even finish my burger!  Unheard of!

I hope you all had a great weekend!

ONE GOOD THING:  I respected my body and took time off to let it recoup from my hard workout week.

Question of the Day:  Do you take time during the day to “just be”?

19 comments:

thewwchick said...

In the honor of Sir Mix Alot, an ode to big buns, by thewwchick:

"I like big BUNZ and I cannot lie.
You other foodies can't deny,
that when a bun appears with a de-lish taste & it's heathly for my waist....I get sprung!"

Anonymous said...

Your meals always look so good. And yes I like to take a few moments and just be in the moment and think of nothing do nothing. Just be. Nothing wrong with that! :) have a great week.

Unknown said...

LOL@ Heather's song! haha!

I have healthy protesters in my family- my Mom and Dad cringe when I bring certain foods to the table. lol Oh well ya cant MAKE them eat healthy...but when its yummy and they like it, I always tell them I told ya so! :)

Good lookin wrap btw! YUM!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Time to just be is so important. But no, I often don't take it... Thanks for the reminder!

Have a great week! :)

Christina said...

I love how you say something about "one good thing" and it is a good thing! I have trouble taking time to myself to just be too. And I really really need to get in that habit as well. Why is it so hard?! Oh yea - we're moms! LOL

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

oohh...those wraps look & sound amazing! I will keep my eyes out for them!

Di said...

For me if I do not take time out just to be each day I go insane , and fast. For me it is almost always a few minute window around lunchtime.If I get lucky, I get another such window in the afternoon before dinner. It's usually no more than 5 minutes, but it is 5 quality minutes of listening to the world, really observing the signs in nature out my window, smelling the air, just being with my son. It makes all the rest of the day craziness pleasant.

Laura@FindingAHealthyBalance said...

You quiche looks so good! I also wanted to ask you how you make your Sweet Potato Fries, mine came out soggy!?! =( Laura

http://findingahealthybalance.wordpress.com/

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I love you food. I wish I could have food that looked that tasty. I tend to cook in bulk (but not eat in bulk!!)

Thanks for the reminder that taking some time is healthy and necessary!

Unknown said...

Wow, you din din looked amazing.

I don't normally take time for myself, but I am trying to incorporate it into my daily schedule. Yesterday, I took off to Starbucks to read, and I really enjoyed it.

lynn said...

ezekial buns! have never seen that.

i journal every single morning. just 2 pages of whatever i want to write - doesn't even have to make sense.

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

i have never seen those buns, they look so good! i love all the other ezekiel products i have tried. i so wish i could find that flatbread, what amazing stats. the quiche looks yummy too, what a wonderful weekend of eats!

Unknown said...

You always post such nice meals!
I've been meaning to try those Joseph's wraps at BJ's...

Unknown said...

I love the lavash wraps! So yummy! Do your sweet potato fries get crispy at all? I've tried them several ways & they are still a bit soft. Tips for me? :)

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Laura & Heather - This last batch of sweet potato fries got pretty crisp! I soaked them in water for a bit, dried them very well and coated them with evoo. I roasted them at 400 degrees on the bottom oven rack for about 15 minutes, then flipped them and cooked for 15 more. I used 2 pans - don't crowd the fries or they'll steam instead of crisp. They were a hit!

Anonymous said...

Your dinner looks SO good!! Yum!!

Honestly, no. I don't take time every day to just "be"... with 4 kids, someone always needs me! lol!!

I took the weekend off from my regular workout too.. my knees needed a "rest"!

Sarah said...

That zuchinni quiche looks fantastic!

Hope you are able to find some time to breathe this week. Right now I guess my down time is while I'm working (that doesn't sound too good does it, lol) But I am able to think there. I think we all need more time to breathe.

Mom Getting Fit said...

I too just found the Lavash Bread yesterday and used it today in a wrap. I actually just blogged about it and then found your blog a few mins. later :) You have a great blog, I will be back for sure!

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to find Joseph's Lavash wraps anywhere. Joseph Lavash wraps and Ezekiel Buns are 2 things I would love for TJ's to carry.