Thursday, September 24, 2009

They Got Me

I feel like H E double hockey sticks.  The sick people got me with this nasty cold.  The daughters are better, but the husband and I have the worst of it now.  My head feels like an elephant is stepping on it.  Excellent.  But, nothin’ stops a mom, so I keep on trudging…

After getting the daughters off to school, I mixed up a batch of stovetop oatbran for the husband and I.  I used the same method as oatmeal, the bran just takes a few extra minutes to cook and I like the texture a  lot more than regular oats.  To mine, I added 1/4 c. dried cherries, some dark chocolate chips and a couple chopped walnuts.  Cherry Chocolate Walnut Oatbran is GOOOOD…

s23 001

and filling.  I think.  Hard to tell because I’m not so hungry due to the giant foot on my face.  But, I’m pretty sure the bran did a good job and I wasn’t ready to eat something until around 1:30.  I was craving cheesiness.  I had some leftover Hot Artichoke-Cheese Dip, so I schmeared that over 2 slices of Seven Grain Bread, topped each with 1/2 slice of Asiago cheese and ran it under the broiler.  With a side of fuji apple, it was heaven…

s23 004

I spent the remainder of the day scraping wallpaper off my kitchen walls.  Can I tell you how much this job sucks??  Wallpaper scrapers should make a million dollars a year because it is a very sucky job.  Tedious, time-consuming and requiring loads of patience of which I have none!  Scrape, scrape, peel, dip, scrape…

I forgot that I got recruited volunteered to help out in the church office while little daughter was in religion class, so I left in my schlocky scraping clothes and headed over to organize papers for a couple hours.  FUN ;P

When we got back, I was in no shape to be cooking a big dinner.  My head was killing me, so I announced “breakfast for dinner” which made everyone happy- eggs, bacon and bagels have a way of doing that!  I wasn’t much in the mood for eating anything (gosh, WHY can’t this happen everyday!!  Without the stinkin’ head throb), but decided I should feed my body something nutritious.  Thankfully, I had loads of  Big Batch Bulgur Chili already portioned out, so I heated up a container and topped it with some avocado and a sprinkle of lite cheese…

s23 006

Despite my head, I continued to scrape until bedtime.  We hope to be painting on Saturday, so I’ll be able to show the before and after this weekend.

Off to do more scraping….

Stay well, everyone!!!

ONE GOOD THING :  I didn’t think about food much at all today.  I love when that happens :D

24 comments:

Rebecca said...

Don't forget to rest your body girl! Food looking delicious as usual! But don't forget you need more rest to help your body get better.

Di said...

May this bug pass from you quickly !

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Take care of yourself. I'm glad the children are better, but sorry you've got it good now. Easy does it.

Shhhhh said...

Sorry to hear you're feeling like crap. Sucks to be sick.

Hope you got some rest last night. Feel better!

Wendy said...

hope u feel better soon!

Unknown said...

Oh no! They got me, too - so I know how you feel.
Take some time to rest, girl - get well!

Tina said...

The trick to wallpaper is to SOAK IT...DRENCH IT...LET IT SIT. My hubby has a painting business and removes a lot of wallpaper. Score it, use a squirt bottle to thoroughly soak it with water or water/fabric softner, then walk away, let it sit and soak. Don't try to peel dry wall paper. If you need to, soak it again...then it will just fall off. Patience.

Sunny said...

oh bummer, sorry you're sick! that seems to be going around... your bread with the artichoke cheese dip looks amazing, i want some!!

Unknown said...

So sorry you got the cooties! :( All of the meals looked SO good! I need to go back to click on the chili link! Feel better!!!

:)

Laura@FindingAHealthyBalance said...

Oh, I am loving that Hot Artichoke Cheese Dip & Chili.......YUMMY!!! Think I will make that dip for an up coming party.

=) Laura

http://findingahealthybalance.wordpress.com/

Balancing Me said...

Yum, the chocolate mixed with the dried cherries looks totally delicious. I have both of these in the pantry and can't wait to try them. Thanks for the idea!

...a lovely french life full of adventures!! said...

Hi!
Just wanted to let you know that I'm a big "mysterious" fan of your blog! Thanks for the great tips!
Hope you feel better soon...
Take care!

Brenda said...

We have 'breakfast for dinner' once a week here-usually on a busy night.
Last week I saw a picture post on your blog with Emerald 100 cal pack cocoa roast almonds, so I gave them a try this week. I'm in a rut eatting the same healthy snacks and need something new...I LOVE THEM!! They are perfect for that "got to have chocolate" cravings and really satisfy me! Today I am having 1/2 cup cottage cheese and fresh strawberries with my almonds.....THANK YOU!
Hope you and your family are feeling better soon!

katecooks said...

aw! sorry you are feeling sick. my appetite tends to disappear when i am feeling icky too.

scraping wallpaper is NOT a good remedy for a cold tho!!! you need to be resting whenever you can!!! sleep and even just bumming around as amazing restorative powers :)

OldGoogleAccount said...

You're a trooper. When I'm sick, I take to my bed. Scraping wallpaper? Out of the question! You're a tough chick, that's for sure!

Hope you're feeling better soon! And thanks for the chili idea. I'd love the try that.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

So sorry you got sick... Take good care of yourself... Plenty of rest and plenty of liquids... Hope you'll feel better soon!

Sweetie Pie said...

Sorry about the foot on your face. That's no good! I can't believe you still had the energy for wall paper scraping. That's definitely quite a big task. I'm glad you had such a perfect looking bowl of oat bran to fuel your scraping adventure. Feel better!!

janetha said...

nooooooooooooooo boo to the sickness! i am sorry darling! mmm that artichoke dip looks really good, please tell me if i click on the recipe it will be a clean one?! um i got tired just reading about the wallpaper scraping. ick. feel better marisa!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better today! Brave woman to keep scraping when I am sure your bed was calling your name! :D

thewwchick said...

Why are you scraping wall paper when you're SICK??? Go to bed! Your fugly wall paper will still be there when you're well again. Then you can have new, pretty walls.

You just reminded me to be thankful for wellness. I can breathe through my nose and my head does not hurt. That makes for a good day in my book. :)

Yum Yucky said...

HA! I almost thought that oatbran dish was a ice cream for a sec.

Wallpaper?? "hated it". Still do, but at least it's over now. And so to be for you I hope!!

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

umm just found your blog and everything looks delicious! i want to eat my screen right up :) cherry chocalate oats sounds like a suberb Idea!!

Enz said...

Cherry Chocolate Oat Bran - I want to try this. Can you tell me the ratio of liquid to oatbran. I don't like the texture of oatmeal so I thought I might try this instead...but I have no idea of how to start. Can you post or email me an easy recipe?

Thanks.

Enza

bookenz AT gmail DOT com

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Tina - thanks for the tips!

Enz - Cooking oat bran is similar to cooking oats, except you use 1 part oat bran to 2 parts water/milk. I use 1/4 c. oat bran with 1/4 c. water and 1/4 c. ff milk and stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir often as it thickens cuz it tends to stick on the bottom. You can add more water to get the consistency you like. It's really easy and hearty. I'm sure you can use a microwave method, too, but I haven't tried that out yet, other than to reheat my extra oatbran if I make a double batch. email me if you have any questions =)