Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sweet Treats

Happy Valentine's Day! A day of love, romance and.....CHOCOLATE! The husband was so sweet to give me these beauties instead ...

So lovely and will last much longer than chocolate would ;) The daughters got some goodies and lots of chocolate, but *eyes closed* I have no idea where that chocolate is!

Well, today I decided to not do my 5K Saturday. I wrestled with myself on this, but I have been having issues with my right foot (planter fasciitis is acting up) and I thought it would be better to give it a rest. I still did the Shred - only 14 days left! I hope to make up the run tomorrow - it'll be 5 K Sunday instead! A question for all you runners out there: how often do you run? Is it bad to run everyday? Do you vary the duration of your runs? Okay, that was 3 questions! I'd appreciate any feedback on that since I'm new at this!

After shredding, I made a Thomas' Light English Muffin with PB2 and a tsp. Smucker's Sugar Free Grape Jam. I had a bowl of sweet strawberries to go with it. A satisfying 3 POINT breakfast...
For lunch, I went with some leftovers. A little different from my normal lunches. I thought I'd see if this was any more satisfying for me than my traditional lunch. I had a serving of leftover turkey meatloaf, asparagus and 1/3 c. of israeli couscous for 8 POINTS...

Like dinner for lunch! What do I call that...dunch or dinch??!! I don't know, I'll just call it good -even the second time around!
Now, I have been thinking about trying to eliminate my afternoon snack. If I try to eat according to my body's needs, then most days I notice I don't really "need" a snack, but I eat one for fear that I will be ravenous by dinner and eat the house down. So, the past couple days, I haven't felt hungry in the afternoon and I have been foregoing the snack. It was okay. I was able to wait for dinner and didn't feel the need to overeat. However, today I became hungry around 4 p.m. and since we had big daughter's basketball game late, I knew I wouldn't make it until dinner which would be around 6:30-6:45. I decided to have 2 hardboiled egg whites and a lite string cheese for 2 POINTS...

Guess what? Then this triggered the munchies! I had a handful of pretzel sticks...

and a handful of TJ's Sour Cream and Onion Rice Chips, 3 small chocolates (I opened my eyes!) and a handful of M&M's. I used my Weekly Allowance POINTS for all that, so I'm o.k., but that was an interesting experiment! I think it may be better for me to avoid an afternoon snack because it seems like when I do lately, it's a snowball effect. I think I will make a goal this week to not snack in the afternoon and see how that works out. I will make sure I eat a bigger breakfast and lunch to get the calories I need. I'm keeping dessert though! We'll see how this goes...


When we got home from big daughter's game (they won - YAY!), I rushed to get dinner on the table. I made the husband and daughters some gnocchi with marinara sauce and a side of broccoli. I decided to have a Salmon Roulette and a side of broccoli for 4 POINTS...

I also made another fancy drink with the POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice.
This time, I mixed 2 oz. juice with some Sprite Zero. Very refreshing!
Valentine's Day would not be complete without these decadent chocolate covered strawberries. I decided to count them as 3 POINTS since one was a bit bigger than last night's...

I'm off to snuggle with my honeys tonight! Hope everyone had a sweet day!!!!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally do not run everyday. I run 4 - 5 times a week. My dad ran every day for many years - he also had both his hips replaced at 57.

I think its best to switch up your running. Your body will eventually get used to run 3 miles every day at the same pace and you wont see the results.

I like to do training programs. I started with C25K, moved onto OHR (one hour running program) and I am not doing 10k training. It keeps the runs different each time I go out!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Awh, have a cute wonderful night!!! Happy Valentines Day!

Anonymous said...

what yummy eats- it's hard not to indulge in a few treats on valentines- i think you did a great job balancing them out!

Sunny said...

I like that you're tweaking the way you eat, seeing what works for you and what doesn't and then making small changes. Im doing the same thing...it's definitely a learning process.

Oh, and to answer your question you left for me on my blog... no the Fortune Delight Tea does not contain any stimulants. That's why I drink it, because it's all natural. If you email me at sunnyegroup@yahoo.com then I will email you back a link to a little youtube video my sister and I made about the tea. That way you can see if it's a match for you. Have a good 5K Sunday! :)

Lex said...

Awww, what beautiful flowers!!! :)

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

anonymus - thanks for that info! Good luck with your 10K -WOW!!

sharon - you too!!!

sweet26 - thanks! I tried to resist, but the chocolate stalked me!!

Sunny - yep,lots of learning goin on here!! Thanks for the info on the tea; sounds interesting and I will def check out the video!

Lex - thanks! Now, if only I can keep the alive for a bit! I tend to be a plant/flower killer =)

Sophia Lee said...

wow that salmon roulette looks awesome! is that made from scratch?
and those white roses look gorgeous! I think I much prefer white to red...

Amanda said...

Marissa - I personally only run maybe 1 time a week. I don't have great knees or feet (inherited from my dad) so when I run, I really feel it. But I run in 5K's, 10K's and half marathons on this schedule so it works for me. My time is slower than some though (probably average 10-11 min miles depending on length of run). And to put in some perspective, I am 30 yrs old.

Good idea w/ the spritzers!! I want one now!

Tracy said...

Awwww...your flowers are beautiful! I unfortunately got chocolates, which I have yet to open. : ) Glad you had a good Valentine's Day and stayed on track. That's what the flex points are for.

cglich0630 said...

I think that it would be okay to run every day if you are up to it. I know that I can't do it every day. Just when I do it a couple days in a row, I get burnt out and don't feel like running for a while afterwards. I run about 4 days a week. Some days I run for 30 minutes and other days I do intervals (run 3, walk 2, run 2 walk 1, then run 1, walk 1). I do the interval run for about 30 min. or so.

Elizabeth said...

Love the flowers. :)

In terms of running -- I run ~12 miles a week. I run 2-3 miles on Sunday and do a class called "Work it Circuit" then I run 5 miles on Tuesday and Thursday. I actually keep track of my mileage and I have a goal to run 500 miles this year.

I do think it is bad to run every day, your body does need some rest. I hope that helps!