Thursday, April 30, 2009

Recovery Run

Thanks to all for your nice comments about my friend's Dad. I feel sad for her and I have been moping around the house all day, not doing much of anything that I should be doing. Well, except eating. I always manage to get that in. I think that even if I had my jaws wired shut, I would find some type of food that could fit in between that labyrinth of wires :)

I decided to try out a treadmill run this morning since the last of my stitches fell out yesterday. I think I am pretty well healed, so I cranked up the treadmill and did my 40 minute run. Yay! It felt so good! I can't believe how much I miss it when I don't run! I threw in 20 tricep dips and 15 wall pushups, too!

After that, I fixed a quick breakfast of an Ezekiel English Muffin with a wedge of Laughing Cow Light for 3 POINTS...


I fiddled around on the computer and did a little cleaning (very little), then it was time for lunch. I made a salmon salad wrap with a side of carrots and TJ's Sour Cream and Onion Rice Chips for 5 POINTS...

I still felt a little hungry, so I had 2 very sweet clementines -YUM for 1 POINT...



Before taking little daughter to dance class, I broke out a snack...

Another great Gnu Bar! I crumbled it onto 1/2 c. nonfat Greek yogurt for a filling 3 POINT snack...


While little daughter was in class, my friend ,Coleen and I went for a walk around the parking area and solved all the world's problems. We walked at a pretty good clip, so I got in an extra 30 minute exercise today! I love when bonus exercise happens :)
I was not into providing a creative plan for dinner that no one would appreciate anyway, so I gave the husband and daughters sandwiches and fruit and I had my leftover Polenta with Smoked Gouda and Mushroom Sauce for 8 POINTS. I added some roasted peppers to it to change it up tonight...(sorry about the pic; hard to make it look "pretty")


Here's the recipe for this full flavored dish:
Polenta with Smoked Gouda and Mushroom Sauce
  • 24 oz. tube of prepared polenta
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tbsp. flour
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. skim milk
  • 2 oz. lite smoked gouda ( or lite smoked mozzarella), grated
  • 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
  • 8 oz. container of baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Spray a 11x7 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Slice tube of polenta into 1/2" slices and layer in baking dish.
  3. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour over butter; whisk quickly and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in milk and cheeses. Stir in mushrooms.
  4. Pour sauce over polenta slices and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Makes 3 hearty servings at 8 POINTS each.

I ended the day with some Righteous Rounds for 2 POINTS...



And a handful of little chocolate eggs and bites, licks and tastes of Cookies and Cream Ice Cream. Ugh! Glad I took that extra walk today ;)
Looking forward to getting in bed early. Have a great night =)

14 comments:

Sharon said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm cookies! =D

Jessica said...

You may think that no one appreciates your mom efforts.... but they do, even if it doesn't show. And if not now, they will look back eventually and really really appreciate it. And you. :-)

Sarah said...

The polenta sounds so yummy!

Also I'll look for that recipe you mentioned and try it out, thanks :)

Herbalife Las Vegas said...

I love your food choices, they look great. The Salmon Salad Wrap is great idea.

Danica's Daily said...

I had laughing cow today too!!! Thanks for the Gnu bar review - I have that one sitting in my drawer to try.

There are those little cookies again.....so addicting! I was eyeing the Nutella sitting on the shelf the other day thinking that they would go all too good together. Then, I quickly banished that thought from my head :)

MizFit said...

Im totally 100% with Jessica.
or at least thats what I tell myself.


DAILY :)

Unknown said...

That was my FAVORITE Gnu bar!! I'm going to have to pick some up. Probably is not one around here sells them so I have to wait until I'm out of the area. That is probably more of a blessing than a curse though. LOL

Glad you got your run AND walk in!!

Reen said...

Wow, a 40 minute run! You're an inspiration! Hope I can get to that eventually. Of course, I only started running recently for the first time in my life. I'm up about 20 minutes and 1.75 miles, but I'll just keep building on that! When I first started, I could only run a half mile before I had to stop and catch my breath.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

The Polenta sounds great!

Rebecca said...

I love bonus exercise too. My favorite kind is around the shopping mall, in and out of fitting rooms, carrying bags etc..!

Wendy said...

sounds like you got a great run in! I also had to go out to trader joes and get those cookies. i have to say after the first bite i wasnt too sure about them, and then i decided i liked them : ) i am also sorry to hear about your friends dad, i have been reading a few blogs out there and it seems like there are alot of funerals going around...i just lost a friend too. hope you feel better.

Amanda said...

I printed out that polenta recipe and I will try it. Polenta scares me but I don't know why! But your recipe looks good. LOL

superbecca said...

mmm I love polenta but I've never tried to use the prepared kind, I'll have to get right on that :) Sorry to hear about your friends dad, I hope she's doing ok.

foolsfitness said...

The treadmill rocks. I think for me it's the core of my workout routine.

There was once a time long long ago where I felt like I could run almost fast enough where I would fly off the ground and float for a time, defying gravity.

Now I can't hit a run speed. But that may change... I remember the joy of a great run.

Running away is the foolsfitness way!-Alan