Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Opportunities Are Everywhere

The yucky weather seems to have followed us to the beach. It was an overcast morning and on the cooler side which is not great beach weather, but turned out to be great weather for a run. I headed out early and enjoyed the nice breeze during my 35 minute run. This was an exciting run for me. While I was out, taking in the scenery, I thought back to this time last year. I was just starting to "learn" to run and I was struggling with the whole process. Last year, I could barely make it around the beach block, but this morning I ran close to 3 miles! It was a neat feeling. A sign of progress.


I came in and whipped up my usual breakfast of 3/4 c. Puffins, strawberries and 1/2 c. Almond Breeze for 3 POINTS...



Even though the weather wasn't exactly cooperating, I took the daughters to the pool for some swimming. I took the opportunity to get in a few laps and do some strength exercises using the deep water as resistance. I love this form of "nonsweaty" exercise!

All at once, we were starving, so we headed back to have lunch. I went with a turkey hummus wrap (turkey slices, 2 tbsp. hummus, baby spinach in a La Tortilla Factory tortilla), leftover Asian Slaw and a half serving of Sour Cream and Onion Rice Chips for 6 POINTS...

After lunch, Mom and Gram joined us for an excursion to a quaint little nearby town. There are interesting shops, restaurants, paddle boats and a couple little rides for the kids. It is a very animal friendly town with lots of geese, customers with dogs, and even some of these guys walking around...

We couldn't resist stopping in a sweet shop with rows of candy and chocolate! I indulged in a dark chocolate dipped pineapple ring for a delicious afternoon snack...


And a frozen cappuccino to wash it down...

That was pretty filling and ended up killing my appetite for dinner. Not a bad thing, since chinese takeout was on the menu and I'm not good at saying no to fried dumplings and egg rolls! I sat with everyone at dinner, but waited until I felt some hunger brewing to eat something. I decided on a leftover chicken sausage and broccoli rabe from Father's Day dinner...


Big daughter and I went for a 20 minute bike ride around the town and then, little daughter and I went for an evening walk to end the night. I really enjoyed the extra "exercise that didn't feel like exercise" today! I'm going to take advantage of as many opportunities for extra activity as possible this week. It's a challenge to keep the eats completely "on program", but hopefully, the additional exercise will counteract some of that! Here's hoping ;P
Have a great night!!

11 comments:

Lex said...

Wow, I am still at the starting stages of running. I get pooped SO easily... it's nice to see there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Kari@Onederland said...

How inspiring to hear you say that you can look back to a year ago and see how far you have come with your progress of learing to run.
Beautiful chick. And my gosh a dark chocolate dipped pineapple ring. Sign me up. Yummy.
Way to get in some extra movement!! Don't ya just love this time of year!!

Wendy said...

sounds like a great time! I want to go to the beach!

It is great that you have come so far!

Di said...

I think the non scale victories we make are almost more exciting than the scale ones ! Scales just say a number, but everything else speaks of our hearts and souls. A simple number can never speak of the gains you have made in physical endurance and wellness- two things of greater importance. And the chocolate covered pineapple looks like a real yum !

Terri said...

Sounds like you are having a great time! I am definitely making those chocolate dipped pineapple rings. You know, I never had fresh pineapple until December of last year and since then, we've eaten at least one whole pineapple a week!

Great job getting in that exercise!

Reen said...

Good for you on the run! Great to look back and see how far you've come.

I got back to running yesterday after about a 2 1/2 week break. Ran three miles. Had been up to four. I'll work my way back hopefully by the end of the week.

The chicken sausage and broccoli rabe looks amazing. I love broccoli rabe. Haven't made it lately because I haven't figured out how to get that same flavor without all the olive oil. Any suggestions?

MB said...

What a difference a year makes.

The best exercise is fun activities that don't feel like exercise.

Enjoy!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

How great that your surroundings reminded you of how far you have come. It's so easy to forget... Great job!

I love getting extra "exercise that doesn't feel like exercise." And it all does add up!

Enjoy your vacation!

♥ Dee ♥ said...

Sounds to me like you are doing that crazy "balancing" thing!

Hey, Marisa... way to go on the run, honey. It brought a tear to my eye to hear your progress from last year to this. I hope you recall that feeling when you are down in the dumps.

I'm so proud of you... I really am!

Unknown said...

Wow, sounds like such a great day!

Anonymous said...

your lunch really looks delicious and simple. those sour cream and onion crackers are my all time favorite!!!! Yummmm. :)