Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Totally Tofu

I peeked at the scale this morning. I was scared that it might ruin my day. As much as I say to myself that the scale doesn't matter, it does. A lot. It dictates my day. Good number = good day, lots of motivation and general happiness. Bad number = bad day, sometimes overeating and most definitely overall bitchiness. Lucky for my family members, a good number appeared. Not a great number, but I'm showing a teensy loss which makes me feel good about my approaching official weigh-in on Saturday at WW. Hopefully, I can get back to wear I was before this last few weeks of "on and off trackness" :)


After my visit with the scale, I headed to the treadmill for another 35 minute run. I've been really into running this week! I know it's not the best to do it everyday, but so far my hip has been cooperating, so I'm going with it! I've also been going with cereal for breakfast. I'm finding that it fills me up and is very satisfying, especially bulked up with lots of berries. Today was 3/4 c. TJ's High Fiber O's, 1/2 c. unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze and 1 c. of blueberries for 3 POINTS...



Lunch was a bbq baked tofu sammie on spelt bread with lettuce, tomato and a slice of 2% cheese. I added in some more red superfoods with 1 c. watermelon and a fuji apple for a 6 POINT lunch...


Baked tofu... up close and personal...

The daughters declared it to be Taco Tuesday, so it was tacos for dinner! I joined in the taco festivities, but with a twist. For me, it was Tofu Taco Tuesday! Don't say eeewww! It's great. Really. First, I took 1/2 block of Nasoya Lite Firm Tofu, squeezed between paper towels to remove excess water and crumbled it in a nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Next, I sprinkled 1 tbsp. homemade taco seasoning over the tofu and mixed in. I let the tofu crumbles "brown" for about 10-15 minutes until the tofu dried out and resembled "ground beef/turkey" (it does, TOO!!!)....

I ended up only needing half the mixture, so I saved the other for another time. I assembled my tacos using 2 yellow corn taco shells, 1/2 oz. grated 2% cheese, lettuce, tomato and 2 tbsp. guacamole. I paired the tofu tacos with a cup of organic black bean soup and carrot sticks for an amazingly delicious (and messy) 6 POINTS...


Seeeeee??? Not so yucky right?!
I had plenty of POINTS left for a beefed- up (haha) dessert, but I ended up wanting 1/2 c. Breyers Fat Free French Chocolate Ice Cream with 1/2 Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar crumbled on top...

That was an awesome 3 POINTS!
So, I technically was able to go without a snack this afternoon again. I did have a couple of bites, licks and tastes which probably added up to a POINT, maybe 2. I tack those on at the end of the day, just in case. I feel like I have a good groove going now and I am happy without all the afternoon snacking. I've been talking myself through it when I feel like I might grab something and I realize that I am not hungry. It's just that whole habit thing of wanting a snack when the daughters get home. Breaking that habit will take some behavior modification and I know it won't happen overnight. But having these last few days under my belt make me feel assured that it IS possible :)
Have a great night everyone!

18 comments:

Manderz said...

Glad that the scale is moving in the right direction! I've always wanted to try tofu and after seeing your tacos I think I may give it a shot soon!

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

Go scale, go!

The tofu tacos really got my attention. Yum. I think I am going to need some tacos soon now. I always get so many great ideas from you. :)

Reen said...

Hey, Marisa, you're doing great! Keep it up. You'll get there in no time.

I weighed in last Saturday, stayed the same. I promised my leader I was not getting on the scale until my next weigh-in. I'm a scale junkie! Well, my next weigh-in is tomorrow morning. I'm going mid-week to hit the scale before I hit the road for our vacation. I don't expect anything spectacular since it's only been a few days. And good for you on the running. So jealous. I haven't been able to run at all this week due to rain AND having to get so much work done before we leave.

Anyway, you're doing marvelous, truly inspiring!

C.G. the Foodie said...

I love tofu! You have great ideas!!!!

Kyle and Darci said...

kudos to you for starting to tackle those BLT's!! Those can get me too!!

I need to find the unsweetened almond breeze...i can only find the regular stuff at my grocery store. :(

Kathi said...

Marisa,

The tofu looks great! I would love to give the tacos a try.

Keep working it and you will get to where you want to go. Never, ever give up trying! I know you can do it! I am cheering you on every step of the way!

Kathi

Anonymous said...

Wow. Tofu taco is a really awesome idea. Tofu is so versatile.

Danica's Daily said...

OMG I am the same way with the scale - what is it with self sabotage. You would think it would motivate us when we saw a bad number to do better.

Great day and I LOVE that dessert.

Lizzie said...

Marisa, your positivity and attitude REALLY encourages me loads, so I just wanted to thank you.

Hope you have another great day today!

xxx

Unknown said...

Glad you had a good day. But really, don't let the scale determine your mood for the day. Trust me, it's not worth it. Just let it motivate you instead!! : )

Shhhhh said...

Thanks for the tofu ideas - bbq and tacos. Think I'll try the bbq sandwich - with Jack Daniel's bbq sauce - for lunch today. YUM!

Congrats on the scale going in the right direction. Hope mine does the same and soon. Heh!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are getting that scale to move downward.

The tofu tacos look really good. I'll try them but I don't think I would be able to get my husband to try them!

Sunny said...

mmm... the tofu tacos look really good! glad the scale is going in the right direction for you! i wish the scale didn't have power over me either!! :)

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

I have a box of the organic blackbean soup that I have yet to try. For some reason it seems scary to me. I'm guessing it must taste great lol.

The tofu tacos look great!

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

I love your tofu tacos!

I just had tacos the other night too, I love them!!

Don't worry about the scale, I used to be like that too. I think once a week was enough. In fact when I was doing Weight Watchers regularly I would only weigh in there. Sometimes, I would miss a meeting because my scale said I was up a pound, but on their scale I was less, so I would stick with their scale. Maybe try that and see what happens??

Anonymous said...

wow i loooove your idea of using the soft tofu! I've never seen taht done before (am i behind or what??) and i eat a ton of tofu, being Chinese and all!! :) Thanks so much!! I also am in LOOOVE with how you creatively put it into a taco!!! ahh so many awesome things about this post!

P.s. I don't weight myself anymore cuz i HATE the mind games i play with myself.

Sarah said...

The tacos look great!

I'm the exact same way with the scale. Bad weight means not so nice mommy. Way to go this week! Keep it up :)

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Thanks everyone for being open to the tofu! I think it seems scary at first, but it really is a delicious and versatile protein source!

Reen - I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!!! I hope you have an awesome vacation!

Watching and Weighting - thank you so much for saying that! You do the same for me!