Monday, June 8, 2009

Red Superfoods

I'm seeing red today! There is so much beautiful summer produce available. I am loving all the red fruits and indulged in them at every meal. Deep red fruits contain phytochemicals such as lycopene and anthocyanins which are not only heart-healthy and cancer-fighting, but also help boost the immune system. I made sure to get my antioxidants today!



I started off with a breakfast of 3/4 c. Quaker Crunchy Corn Bran, 1/2 c. unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze and 1/2 c. sliced strawberries for 2 POINTS...




Then, I got in a great 35 minute treadmill run despite being a tad bit sore from moving furniture yesterday. My friend and I were two tough chicks yesterday; we have the bruises to prove it!



I got cleaned up and headed out for some errands. I'm trying to get in as much as possible before the daughters are finished with school this Friday. I stopped home for some lunch. I made a turkey and hummus sammie with baby spinach on organic spelt bread. Delish! I had a cup of Tabatchnick Barley Mushroom soup and some red grapes to round out this filling 6 POINT lunch...


More errands after the daughters came home from school, which included a stop at Trader Joe's ( my home away from home :) I managed to get through the afternoon without a snack! Miracles can happen :)


Since the husband was away for work this evening (we miss you!!), the daughters requested hoagies and I pulled out my favorite Lean Cuisine dinner - Parmesan Crusted Fish. This is the best frozen dinner! I added more red - watermelon. It was a great quick 7 POINT meal...


Doesn't the fish really "look" like a fish???



I ended with a serving of Breyers Fat Free French Chocolate topped with 1/4 c. freeze dried strawberries (yum-more red!) for 1 POINT...


I did pretty well overall today! I did nibble a little on big daughter's hoagie and had a bite of little daughter's ice cream dessert. So, maybe a couple extra POINTS tacked on to the day. Not too bad!


Hope you all had an easy Monday! Have a great night :)

14 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Wow! I love how you eat fruit with every meal...

Herbalife Las Vegas said...

Is Almond Breeze like soy milk? The cereal looks great, I might have to buy some of it.

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

looks pretty nice there. I'm still getting my chit together so I can try eating this way. But I do know that I get to eat more "points" then your showing here - but it looks like all this could fill me up just fine.

We shall see how I do. Keep posting your day so that we have something to gauge by or inspire us

Unknown said...

I like that cereal! I'm trying to finish up a surplus that seemed to appear at my house before buying anything new...

That fish did really look like a fish, go figure!

Hottest & cutest said...

I never had freeze dried strawberries- they look good. Are they a TJ item? I know that is where you got the blueberries from.. I must go there!

Anonymous said...

mm...big bite of juicy fruits! love!
and that mushroom soup looks really comforting and good!

Anonymous said...

It all looks good. I've got to find the freeze-dried fruit. Sounds very convenient.

Looking forward to the Gnu bars! You're a sweetie!

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

I L.O.V.E. red fruits. raspberries, strawberries, watermelon, red Jazz apples...it's all good.

Your pictures are as tasty as they are beautiful. :)

A Daunting Tale of Scale Warfare said...

Seriously, first the blueberries and now the strawberries. I REALLY need to hit up the freeze dried fruits at TJ's. I never thought to do so. Actually I love dried fruit, but I try to avoid it because they are pretty calorie dense, but the freeze dried ones are look so manageable!!!

Di said...

Summer fruits are one of the best things of the whole year ! Berries, melons, fresh peaches and legitimate tomatoes !!!

Kyle and Darci said...

mmmm!!! I'm loving all the red fruit, looks like what's my fridge right now!! :)

Danica's Daily said...

Ha - I was laughing at your fish - it DOES look like a real fish!

Girl in Carolina said...

I just love your creative meals! Delicious!! :)

Anonymous said...

You are sooo organized and your photos are really eye pleasing.