Sunday, November 16, 2008

Lotsa Pasta!

No afternoon snack, today. I was still full from lunch. Must have been the protein packed chicken-ish patty! I had planned on pasta for dinner tonight. I wanted to use the fresh broccoli in the fridge, so I found this recipe for Penne with Broccoli. It came from Weight Watchers Simply the Best Italian Cookbook. Of course, I made a few adjustments. Instead of penne, I used Dreamfields Linguine pasta. It's a whole grain, low glycemic pasta that tastes great-just like regular pasta. The recipe also called for anchovies/anchovy paste which I did not use because my family would run away from the table if they even detected a hint of it! Here's what you'll need if you make the original recipe:
  • 2 c. penne
  • 1 pound broccoli crown, cut into florets
  • 1 c. chicken or vegetable broth
  • 4 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 tsp. pine nuts
  • 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed or 1 tsp. anchovy paste
  • 4 tsp. grated parmesan cheese

Steam broccoli for 5-7 minutes. Bring 1/2 c. broth and the oil to a simmer in large skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook until soft. Add nuts and anchovies. Stir in broccoli and remaining 1/2 c. broth; simmer for 5 min. Meanwhile, cook pasta. Drain and toss with broccoli mixture. Add cheese.

Serves 4. 283 cal., 2 gr. fat, 6 gr. fiber

The nutritionals may change depending on the pasta you use. Dreamfields Pasta has mucho fiber. I actually had a double serving since I had the points available today. It was lotsa pasta...





A great one dish meal!

Obviously, I was full after eating all this. However, I still had dreams of brownies dancing in my head, so I finished my night with a Clif Z Bar. The brownie flavor, of course! These are so good and only 2 pts.

Sweet dreams :)

No comments: