Saturday, November 15, 2008

What's for dinner?

Every night, little daughter asks me what we are having for dinner. Every night. She asks only so she can voice her shear disgust for whatever I am making. Tonight, I was a smarty pants and when she asked what we were having, I replied, "We are having eeww I hate that with a side of that's gross." Oh, the look I got!!! But, tonight they all surprised me because they actually liked the dinner I made! The winning meal was Italian Meatloaf, sweet potato "fries" and broccoli with garlic and a little EVOO...







It was healthy and filling. The meatloaf was lowfat (I used 96% lean beef) and only 5 pts. per serving. The family was none the wiser!





Since dinner was so healthful, I thought I could indulge in a little ice cream. I have been buying this Breyers Double Churn Fat Free ice cream. It is very good. Even the husband will eat it! I made a chocolate caramel "sundae" with 1/2 c. of the fat free chocolate ice cream, a container of the caramel dip and a tiny blob of fat free cool whip. I put a Cafe Twist in to fancy it up. I warmed the caramel a bit so it started to melt the ice cream a little. It was ooey gooey goodness.









These Cafe Twists are crunchy, flaky and very sweet. They come in quite a few flavors. Two of these guys are only 1 pt.! Yummy with a steaming cup of tea...



Have a great night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not like sweet potatoes and have never made them. I don't even eat the Christmas full of fat sweet potatoe caserole! But I'm willing to give these fries a shot if your husband & kids eat them. Do you mind sharing recipe? Thanks. Helen

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Helen-
All I do is take a large sweet potato or two, cut it in half, then slice each half into "fry -size". Place them in a bowl, add about 1-2 tsp. of olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. I spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and place the fries in a single layer. Put them in a 400 degree oven for about 15-20 min. or until done. You can flip them halfway through if you want. You get a lot of bang for your buck; 7 oz. of cooked sweet potato is only 3 pts! I only had about 4 oz. in my picture and it was a lot! Also, these don't come out very crispy, so the word "fry" may be misleading. They are slightly crispy and firm in texture. Really tasty!