Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cookie For Breakfast

Nothing beats starting the day off with a cookie! I present to you my Banana Date Breakfast Cookie....



This was a very hearty and big "cookie". It had a muffin or scone-like texture and a great banana flavor. The dates added a nice extra sweet bite. If you like banana bread, you'll like these - they are basically banana bread in a cookie form. Here's the recipe I came up with...
  • 1 large very ripe banana , mashed
  • 1 egg white, beaten
  • 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/8 c. Splenda granular
  • 1/8 c. unpacked brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 c. old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/4 c. chopped dried dates

Mix the wet ingredients together in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray. Using a 1/4 c. measuring cup sprayed with cooking spray, scoop a heaping 1/4 c. and place on sheet forming a mound. Repeat with remaining batter - makes 5. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy while running out the door:)

These cookies will definitely be freezer friendly - great for "heat and eat" mornings.

Along with my cookie, I had some strawberries that were about to expire and some Eggnoggin Tea. I found this cool product yesterday that I thought would go great in tea or coffee...

This VitaSoy Holly Nog is dairy free, lactose free, gluten free and vegan. Now, don't be scared; it's not flavor-free! This was really good and perfect in my Eggnoggin Tea. I haven't tried it on its own because it wasn't chilled (it comes in those shelf stable cartons in the natural foods aisle of the grocery store). I have it chilling now, so I'll try it as its own beverage later. Best part is 4 oz. of this drink is only 60 cal., 1 gr. fat which works out to 1 Point. Pretty fab.

Just need some Christmas music to go with it...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Vitasoy products!
And ooh wow, thanks for sharing such a great breakfast cookie recipe!!

Anonymous said...

I've been secretly following for a few days now -- and you thought I never would! As usual I'm shamelessly lifting ideas you've worked so hard to realize. A cookie for breakfast is always a good thing, for sure. You may need more persuasion for the "nog" to make it in my house. You remain my hero:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I love all things egg nog! I'll have to find that product!

I just heard on the radio that McDonald's has an egg nog shake out and sometimes my car wants to pull in the drive thru!

Anonymous said...

that cookie recipe sounds amazing!!! reminds me of a scone :)