Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hmmm, Interesting

I decided to try a new veg tonight - collard greens. I bought a big bag of it at the grocery store and it's been sitting in my fridge because I have no earthly clue what to do with it! I know that traditional southern preparation of this green is VERY high in fat, so I figured there would be a better way to cook it. I ended up using an adapted version of the recipe on the bag which called for boiling it with smoked turkey legs which I was not doing. So I boiled it with chicken stock, drained some off , added 1 tsp. sugar and 1 tbsp. cider vinegar. It was, um ...interesting. I really love all green vegetables, but I cannot add this to my favorites list. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't ..."oooh, I can't wait to eat collards"!!! I'm sure it would be MUCH more fabulous made with the smoked turkey or bacon fat as they do in the south -duh! Along with the collards, I had some leftover chicken from my birthday-my mom's awesome Chicken with Proscuitto and Fontina. I also made "garlic bread" from an Arnold Sandwich Thin sprayed with ICBINB. Good stuff...





No big dessert tonight. Just had 2 Cafe Twists which are super sweet and low Point...



Have a great night!!!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm... those Cafe Twists look good!

Enjoy your evening

American Homemaker said...

I just wanted to say hi! I have a weight loss blog too... it's so nice to be motivated through blogging.

Anonymous said...

Marisa,
Just bought the Arnold Sandwich Thin pocket bread. I like them!
-margie

Anonymous said...

I also do not care for collard greens, tried them once and I probably won't eat them again!

Thanks for your blog.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Where do you buy those Cafe Twists?

Marisa @Loser for Life said...

Angie - Hi!! Thanks for reading!

Sharon - They are good! Hope your studying is going well.

Margie - So glad you like them, me too!!

Amanda - Welcome and thanks for reading!

Anonymous - I got the Cafe Twists at my local Giant supermarket.

Unknown said...

I love collard greens! You would too if you prepare them by... chopping them finely. Saute some olive oil and garlic. Add the collards to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan until they are cooked ( a few minutes) Trust me, you will love them if you love greens.