Saturday, December 6, 2008

Ton Of Won Tons

I had some won ton wrappers in the fridge and decided I would create my dinner around these guys. Have you ever seen these?






They are usually located in the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store. They are so versatile, you can use them in soups, as a ravioli, and even for dessert dishes. I wanted to recreate an appetizer that I make called Spanakopita. It is a greek dish made with phyllo dough, spinach, feta and a vat of butter! Very low cal ;)


I thought I would fool with the filling to bring down some of the fat and use the won ton wrappers instead of the phyllo. Here's what I came up with for Spanakopita Won Tons...
  • 10 oz. box of frozen spinach
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 3 - 5 scallions, chopped
  • 1/2 c. crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
  • 1 tbsp. fresh dill
  • 1/8 c. nonfat cottage cheese
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/8 tsp. each of salt and pepper
  • 21 won ton wrappers

Defrost spinach and squeeze out excess water. Place in a medium bowl and set aside. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in small skillet, add scallions and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the scallions, feta, dill, cottage cheese and egg to the spinach. Mix together and season with salt and pepper.

Working with one won ton at a time, place 1 heaping tsp. of spinach mixture in center of won ton. Brush the edges with a bit of water (I use my finger dipped in water) and fold won ton in half. Press to seal the edges. Place on a nonstick cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat process until all won tons have been filled. Spray the tops of the filled won tons with additional cooking spray and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Serve warm.



This recipe makes 3 servings. That is 7 won tons per serving and for only 5 Points!!!

I also had a plain green salad with Marie's Light Blue Cheese Dressing. A great 6 Point dinner...






I put the remaining Spanakopita Won Tons in the deep freeze. I think they will make a yummy, "legal" appetizer for a party.


I had Points left for a nice dessert. I went with Mini Apple Turnovers - A La Mode, again! These turnovers reheated well. And the Breyers Fat Free Double Churn Caramel Swirl Ice Cream is so perfect with apples...





I feel good about my manuevers through the pizza minefield today. Having a strategy and not getting any surprise attacks really helps win the battle...of the bulge, that is... :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, gotta love wontons. But I seriously have never seen that brand for wrappers - I definitely will be on the lookout for those. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

echo the wonton love but raise you the IVE NEVER EVEN THOUGHT TO MAKE THEM MYSELF embarrassment :)

Anonymous said...

ive seen them before but have always been scared to experiment w/ them :)