Thursday, December 4, 2008

What's In There

I have been really good about eating my meals at home. When I am out most of the day running around, I am tempted to eat whatever is out there. I tend to not make the healthiest choice and I don't usually feel satisfied . My new strategy has been to take a "lunch break" at home. Sometimes it's a royal pain to do this, but I make out better with my healthy eating goals when I follow through with it.



The Power Pumpkin Pancakes stayed with me for a lot longer than I thought this morning. But by 1 p.m., I was starving! Funny how it happens all at once. I headed home for my "lunch break" and tried to figure out what looked good to eat. My first thought was a quick wrap, but then the leftover potato skins jumped out at me. I looked around for something to top them with and I found a Weight Watchers Smart Ones Chicken Sante Fe in the freezer. I don't normally eat these dinners; they aren't usually that great and are super loaded with sodium. Plus, it's just not enough food for me. But, I figured I should eat what's in there before stocking up on more food. See, I'm getting better at not wasting!!! This frozen meal is not too bad taste -wise and it was only 2 Points...





I heated the potato skins in the toaster oven. Meanwhile, I nuked the Chicken Santa Fe for the required time. I filled the skins with the Chicken Santa Fe and topped them with a slice of 2% cheese divided over the 4 skins. Carrots were a nice side...




I weighed the skins before filling and they came to 3 0z. which is only 1 Point! With the chicken and the cheese, these only came to 4 Points! So great and filling.



I packed a snack for the afternoon. I had grapes and a Curves Strawberries and Cream Granola Bar...



Thursday nights are usually breakfast for dinner since we get home late, but I was prepared tonight! Before we left for afterschool activities, I made Chicken Cutlets -a family favorite. I decided I would have the same dinner as the family, so I breaded the cutlets as I usually would except I used egg whites instead of whole eggs. Also, I pan fried my cutlet first and used only cooking spray in a nonstick skillet. Then, I added the oil to fry the rest for the family. It worked out great! I still got the taste of a homemade Chicken Cutlet without all the fat! I used the leftover scooped out potato (from the skins) and made mashed potatoes for the family. I had a bit of leftover butternut squash and we all had salad (mine dressed with Marie's Light Blue Cheese). Awesome dinner...



In my fridge exploration, I also found these biscuits...


I'm not sure why I have these! No one in this family really likes them. I figured I would play with them and see if I could make Mini Apple Turnovers. I peeled and diced(small) one large apple and placed it in a bowl. I added 1/2 tbsp. sugar and 1/8 tsp. cinnamon. I flattened out each biscuit (dust with flour, they can stick) , added about 1 tbsp. of apple mixture and folded over. I crimped the edges with a fork and placed on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. I sprayed the tops with cooking spray and sprinkled a little more sugar and cinnamon. They baked for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Here's how they turned out...


I ran these through my Weight Watchers Recipe Builder and they came out to 1 Point per turnover! One of these biscuit tubes makes 10 turnovers.


These tasted fine on their own. They do have that "biscuit taste", but the apple flavor was good. I thought this dessert would be MUCH better, if it was apple turnover A LA MODE!! Since I had the Points, I added a serving of Breyers Fat Free Double Churn Caramel Swirl Ice Cream...


Leave it to me to add more calories... :)

Hope everyone had a great day!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love ice cream!
You had delicious eats for the day!

Elizabeth said...

1 point turnovers?? They look soooo good!