Monday, December 8, 2008

Shopping and Baking

Food shopping was on my agenda today. I got through it pretty quickly, got everything I needed and found some exciting new food finds! I will be sharing these with you as I try them. Let's start with lunch today! I found this yummy Beans, Rice and Cheese Style Burrito at my local supermarket in the frozen food section...


It's by a company called Cedarlane. It has 260 cal., 1 gr. fat, 7 gr. fiber and 13 gr. protein. That comes to only 4 Points. I popped it in the micro according to package directions and dove in. It was terrrific! I would definitely buy this again. I had two plums along with it ; a great no-brainer lunch...

During my food shopping trip, I also bought a bunch of these beat-up bananas for only $1.14...


I was thinking smoothies and Whole Grain Banana Bread!!!! I knew I couldn't stay away from it for too long. I got to baking it right away - smelled so good.
I decided I should have a snack while the bread was baking. That way I won't be tempted to eat the whole thing when it comes out! I grabbed a Fiber One Strawberry Yogurt and an Eating Right Bar...

Dinner tonight was Barbeque Turkey Meatloaf. There was a round of applause from little daughter. Not really. She declared her hatred and begged for the Banana Bread. Although I tried to maintain my stance that I have two menu options : Take It or Leave It, I ended up caving. She ate banana bread for dinner with attitude because she said, "It's healthy, Mom, right???" Can't argue there...
Along with my delicious meatloaf, I made brown basmati rice with added sauteed mushrooms and onion, and some sauteed frozen spinach. It was a very good and filling meal. Oh and the husband said it was great! I wish I had recorded that...

After dinner I couldn't help myself - I had to make another banana recipe. You will be seeing lots of banana-ish things as I will be trying to use up my bounty! Consider yourself warned!!! I wanted to try and make a breakfast cookie. Something healthful and quick to eat in the morning since there will be lots of rushing out the door until Christmas. I played around with some ingredients and ran the recipe through the WW Recipe Builder until I came up with the Point value I would want. I really didn't want to spend more than 3 Points for a breakfast and these cookies came out to 2 Points!! Here's a little sneak peek...


I'll try them tomorrow for breakfast and let you know if they are a hit. Stay tuned.... :)

3 comments:

American Homemaker said...

I love whole grain baking :) yum

Anonymous said...

I used to not eat bananas, but now I find them so tasty! Strange how some times, you just need to acquire the taste buds for them.

Anonymous said...

yum - i love anything w/ bananas although i cant eat them plain - weird hehe